Auto Lift Latches
Auto lift latches are carriage-engaging mechanisms located in the lift column that prevent accidental lowering of raised vehicles. They are also used to support carriages and relieve constant pressure on the hydraulic system preventing premature failure of cylinders, seals, hoses and power units. The auto lift latches should never be disabled or modified, as this practice could lead to serious injury or worse. The following is a general outline for auto lift operators of potential latch issues, likely causes, and solutions for optimal performance in the shop. Operators should take the problems below seriously, repairing them as soon as possible to prevent damage to vehicles and equipment or injury to personnel:
1. Auto Lift Latches not connected and/or operable
2. Air supply line leaks audibly
3. Auto Lift Latch not engaging
4. Auto Lift Cables not adjusted/equalized properly
5. Auto Lift Latches are not working or engaging.
1. Springs and other parts missing
2. Auto Lift Cable not hooked up properly
3. Screwdrivers and other objects used to hold latches open
4. Air cylinders missing or non-functioning
5. Fittings or air lines missing
1. Replace worn, missing broken parts.
2. Replace auto latch release cable and adjust.
3. Educate lift operator on latch function – not disabling the auto lift latches.
4. Replace faulty air cylinders.
5. Repair or replace missing or failed air lines and fittings.
Many operators are tempted to postpone auto lift maintenance, since thorough maintenance can temporarily disable a lift. Periodic close examination according to auto lift manufacturer guidelines can mean a world of difference in lift performance and the life of the individual parts therein, such as auto lift latches. Allpart Supply takes great pride in our inventory of lift latches and other lift parts, keeping latches for new lifts, discontinued lifts, and all automotive lifts in between in stock and ready to ship. We are ready to take care of latch needs for dealerships, fleet maintenance, general service garages, tire stores, individual operators, and technicians. We source for domestic and import lifts, and our staff has extensive first-hand knowledge of automobile lifts and the latches that are critical to their operation.
Call Allpart for automotive and garage lift latches for all brands!